Wednesday 4 August 2010

A pre-race update

My lack of blogging recently may have been an indication that either I've been very busy, or there is something that isn't quite right...

In a nutshell, I have fractured my toe. The pain never disappeared and even though ok when walking, was still really sore when running which wasn't a good sign! So I got an xray last Tuesday and was sent to A&E, where I was told I had a distal spiral fracture in my 5th toe. NOT good.

Here's a picture of the offender (the thick white slanted line on the small toe):



Ok that's not actually my toe, but it's pretty much a replica of what I saw in the hospital, only my toe has a fracture where that one is and also down the other side (hence the "spiral"). So I haven't been running. The only saving grace is that the doctor says it takes 4-6 weeks to heal. The Devil race is 4 weeks exactly from the day it happened so I am hoping that it will be ok to run on. She says ordinarily she would tell me not to run but she knows I am a "stubborn thing" and I will run anyway (: But I am to stop at the first sign of pain so that's what I will do!

In other news (as if the toe fracture isn't bad enough) I have come down with a horrible cold. It is only in my head just now though, so I rested yesterday and today and am hoping to be on the mend come Saturday. If it isn't one thing it's another, eh??

So here's the "non running" workouts (despite a few wee runs before the enormity of the toe situation hit in...) over the past few weeks:

Monday 2/8

Type: Cross Train
Time: 1hr15mins

35 min xtrainer (gleuteal work out!)
30 min tough cycle (cross country)
10 min tough row

Thursday 28/7

Type: swim
Distance: 40 lengths (20 f.c/20 b.s)

Wednesday 28/7

Type: Cross Train
Time: 30 mins

20 mins tough xtrain
10 mins rough row

Monday 26/7

Type: swim
Distance: 36 lengths (20 f.c/16 b.s)

Sunday 25/7

Time: 1hr 5mins
Distance: 5.5miles

Run with Dad through the woods. Toe was ok when I was running at a fairly slow pace but got a lot sorer when I went off myself and went a wee bit faster, so had to turn back.

Saturday 24/7

Time: ?
Distance: ~2.5-3miles

It was peeing down with rain but I just wanted to get out and run. Started off too fast though and my toe really hurt, so I slowed the pace right down. Ended up walking a little bit too.

No comments: