Thursday 22 July 2010

Thursday 22/7 - Swimming, much?

As the title suggests, I have been swimming a fair bit recently. After my long run last Friday, my legs were pretty sore on the Saturday and Sunday. I had obviously been running in a really weird way because my quads were absolutely excrutiating...I feel like I'd run a tough marathon! (Well, I guess technically I did...)

Suffice it to say I took Saturday, Sunday and Monday off. By Monday I was raring to go again but two problems.
1 - My toe is still very sore. Not walking, that's fine. But running or moving it in certain ways and it's just agony. I am worried now that it might be fractured in at least one place. I did rule that out before since I could walk on it ok, but I think the fact that (now going on 12) days after it happened I am still in a good amount of pain maybe isn't such a good thing. I tried running last night and got about 0.5 miles with no pain then suddenly I scrunched my toe up again and BAM...ground to a frustrating halt. Will need to monitor this and see what happens...

And 2 - I am so busy at work its unreal. I am generally in there between 7 and 8 in the morning and leave between 4-5 though lately it has been later.

Excuses, I know. But all I am really focusing on is keeping my cardio strength up before the Devil race. Hopefully in a week or so I should be running again. So my exercise schedule has been:

Thursday 22/7

Type: swim
Distance: 44 lengths (34 front crawl, 10 breast stroke)

Wednesday 21/7

Type: walk (plus a gentle jog)
Distance: 4.6 miles

Started running and managed about 0.5 miles before my toe began to really hurt. I was gutted but decided to stop and walk...though I'm not really a big walker, and it was raining, so I went and got my neighbours dog (a lovely big scooby doo style dog) and took it a walk. The dog is so powerful it basically pulled me the whole way and I did spend quite a long time chatting to my neighbours but enjoyed being out for a good 2 hours.

Tuesday 20/7

Type: swim
Distance: 46/48 lengths (36/38 front crawl, 10 breast stroke)

This was a really tough run and my arms hurt quite badly the next day!

No comments: