Friday 2 July 2010

Friday 2/7 - Long run on WHW

Time: 4 hours (plus a few stops)
Distance: ~21.5miles

Was up and out early this morning to do a run on WHW before doing various bits and bobs this afternoon. I drove to the Beech Tree, parked, and then set off to Balmaha (via the road at Drymen). Was a good steady run for the most part but I did start off a bit too slowly. I'm not really sure what pace to start off at when I'm doing these long runs. I made it to Drymen in just under an hour...which really isn't very fast considering it's about 4 miles from the Beech Tree! So I picked up the pace a bit towards Balmaha.

When I got to Balmaha I stopped to fill up my water bottle...it was really clammy and I felt I was drinking quite a lot. Then I continued on up Conic Hill. I hiked up quite quickly, which I usually do, but it's really different hiking up when you've already done 8-9 miles as opposed to starting off your run! I found it a bit of a struggle right at the start but when I got to the top I stopped to have a look at the great view and quickly kept on going. It's something I think a lot of people forget to do when they are running in such beautiful countryside.

Going down the other side was fine, it wasn't too busy at all. I kept running except on a few little hills where I was trying the "walk the ups, run the downs" tactic. When I got to Drymen I stopped again to fill up my water bottle in the shop and headed back to the Beech Tree. I kept running most of the way until my mum called me about a mile from Drymen with some news about what I was doing this afternoon. I had previously been rushing as I had a few meetings, however she told me one of them was cancelled. I walked for a few mins chatting to her then kept going.

Arrived at the Beech Tree feeling ok from the point of view that my head was fine, i.e. I felt I could kept going, my legs however were beginning to get quite stiff! I guess it's the fact that I never really built up to this run, or the 28 miler two weeks ago...I just kind of went out and did them. I'm at the point now where I can't really build up to the Devil of the Highlands though, I'm just going to have to go with the flow and walk when I need!

Other than my run on Monday this week I swam quite hard on Wednesday which felt good afterwards. I quite like the fact that my muscles hurt a little the day after my swims...feels like I'm really working which can only be a good thing I guess!

No comments: