Thursday 31 July 2008

Wednesday 30/7

Type: Steady
Time: 47mins
Distance: 5.25 miles
Pace: 8.55m/m

The pain came back. Argh. While I was travelling in Europe we were walking around so much I developed a pain in the back of my knee. It's been constantly niggling for a while but not really sore as yet. Until this run. Everytime I went up a hill it hurt, hence the slow pace. I'm really annoyed. I thought not running for 3 weeks would help injuries heal! I've been massaging it a little, and tonight I'm going to stretch for a long time in the gym before heading out a run. If the pain comes back I'll stop and cross train tonight. I'm hoping it will be a bit better for the long run this weekend.
Ah the joys.

3 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Hope your knee feels better!

Regarding tips for Loch Ness I would encourage you to have a look at the route profile on the loch ness web site. There is quite a hill at 17 miles. Last year I did all my long runs on fairly flat routes and did find that hill hard.

This year for my long run I've found a 2 mile hill out of Johnstone which I get to with about 6miles to go. I reckon its steeper and longer than the loch ness hill so will make that one easier. That's my theory anyway.

So my tip would be to make sure you include a long hard hill on your long runs to get used to running up a tough hill when you are tired.

Hope that doesn't put you off but it's better to be prepared!

Hope the training goes well.

John

John Kynaston said...

Hi Christine

I couldn't find the profile on the loch ness site so I will send it to you via email.

I don't think I have your email? Could you email me jkynaston@bigfoot.com and I'll send it to you.

Either that or I'll put it on my blog and you can see it from there!

John

ianbeattie1 said...

Hi Christine, I saw your blog via your comment on John K's. I've done every Loch Ness marathon so far (6 I think) and in my view it is the best marathon anywhere. The organisation is first class and it is a beautiful course. It is quite hard in places - the hill at 17 miles is tough, and lasts for a couple of miles, but if you are in good shape you can definitely get a good time. In terms of training I would not recommend anything different from any other marathon - just build up your long run to around 22 miles 3 weeks before the race, then taper down, and include a few shorter races such as 10ks and half marathons as part of your build up. Most importantly don't forget to enjoy it - it is supposed to be fun! Good luck and hopefully we'll meet at some point. Ian