Saturday 10 October 2009

Saturday 10/9

Type: Short Steady
Time: 43min 30 secs
Distance: 5.11 miles
Av Pace: 8.30min/mile (7.50m/m, 8.45m/m, 8.44m/m, 9m/m, 8.30m/m + short sprint)

As may have already been seen from the post quite early this morning, my cycling friend and I had a little bit of a debate about what cycle to do today...in the end I didn't wake up until quite late and he was going into town so I decided to bite the bullet and do that always-unpredictable "first post marathon run". So here is a little speed chart along with an elevation profile.



Last year I remember my first post marathon run after Loch Ness was an 11 miler. It went well as I recall, but I think that I got back into the swing of things way too early. In retrospect, that may be why the Edinburgh marathons generally don't go so well - because I build up to my 17 mile runs around xmas time and by the time April comes around I'm knackered!!

I think, if anything, the marathon last week has shown that training really is quality over quantity. I only started training for Loch Ness properly mid-late August. I was doing a lot of swimming and x-training before that. It's the tactic I will be following again this year, but with a few twists.

Firstly, I will push the speed on my 8-13 miler runs, I think with the view of maybe beating my half marathon pb. I need to treat these as less of a training run and more of a race. My dad has recovered well from his mild heart atttack (which he had in August) and I think he may be up for doing the Edinburgh half again next year which is great! I would love so much to run with him again.

Secondly, I will do more distance runs mid week. It's always so hard to think I have to go out and do anything over 7 miles when I've been really busy all day, so I'll maybe try doing these in the morning again like I did for my first marathon.

Thirdly, I'll include a cross training day in my work out schedule. I love going to the gym and playing around on the machines. I have a teensy little non-manly "6 pack" making it's appearance and I'm very proud. I plan to cultivate it nicely with the view of it building my core strength =D

Forthly, (and this is still under debate) I have been thinking about starting to train for an ultra. Now, I know this requires a huge amount of commitment, and I think I have proven quite clearly to myself that I can do anything I want when I put my mind to it, but I just want to be sure that NOW would be the best time to do it. Obviously I have finished my MSc, and am currently at a little crossroads, with some free time whilst I look for what I'll be doing next. My worry is that training for an ultra would become such a huge change to my life...as marathon running sometimes is what with having to eat the right foods, get enough sleep etc. It's not a big deal, but being at the age I am at it can be a little struggle sometimes. I'm not a party animal by ANY means, far from it, in fact. I hardly drink (when I do I seem to get drunk prrreetty easily...) and I don't like going to clubs or whatever. But, that said, it is nice to hang out with friends and go with them to a restaurant/bar or whatever on a Friday/Saturday night, without having to worry that I get my protein/carb intake and enough sleep for the long run the next day. I want to commit to training and running an ultra 100%, but this could prove tricky right now considering it would be so much more of a commitment than a marathon. The idea of getting out there though - West Highland Way or wherever - and just running and running is one which is incredibly tempting!!!

Oh well, let's just see how it goes.

Something funny I've seen, though, is my official race photo's from the Loch Ness Marathon. I'm totally grimacing as I run up the home straight!! Not pretty. But this one is quite funny. It was taken at 25 miles and I spotted the guy and waved to him...but just kept on waving. HE eventually had to give me a "thumbs up" to get me to stop =| Oh well, at least I look happy!

No comments: