Sunday 25 October 2009

Sunday 25/10

Type: Long
Time: 1hr 9mins
Distance: 8.36miles
Pace: 8.15min/mile

Not blogged for a while! I have been away in Porto visiting my friend from my undergrad course who moved there to do a PhD. It's a beautiful city - split by a river with some beautiful bridges over the river. One designed by "Mr Eiffel Tower" himself. Arrived home though feeling ready to start running again - despite not being able to walk properly one day on holiday after getting a horrid pain up my shin. think it was from walking around for miles in flip flops all day, but it only seemed to flare up that day and was fine the rest of the time! Weird...

Anyway, today's run was good, though wet! I just bit the bullet and went out because I really wanted to. I thought if I was going to wait for the rain to go off I'd be waiting a long time! (My cycling friend, however, got to the end of his street practically before turning back as he was "soaked" .... pfffft ;D ) Met a runner at about mile 5 and smiled at him, then just as I was finishing on a big downhill he was running up in the opposite direction. We gave one another a "yeah, we're both insane, aren't we?" smile as the rain pelted down around us. I also waved at him from close proximity which was a bit weird, but he laughed. That's runner fellowship!

Also, I'm not sure my Nike+ is really doing it's job properly. Here is the pace chart from today's run:


I walked up a hill at the end for about 100metres for goodness sake! Although I do feel I kept a consistent pace, I have no idea how this could have happened! Maybe I am becoming one with my internal pacer......or perhaps the battery on my Nike+ needs replaced. Either way, I like the straight line very much (:

Friday 23/10

Type: Short Fast
Time: 28mins
Distance: 3.42miles
Pace: 8.10min/mile

Tried to stay really quite quick throughout this run, despite being starving after leaving work and stuffing myself with bananas to compensate! I remember speaking to somebody in Cardiac Surgery during my work experience, about how they use Potassium injections to induce a temporary stop to the heart before bypass surgery. I wonder hiw many bananas I'd need to eat before that would happen... *ponders* ... Best not to find out, I think.


Thursday 22/10


Type: Steady
Distance: 4.62 miles
Pace: 8.25min/mile av (7.44, 8.33, 8.56, 8.40, 8.30 splits)

First run after coming back from Porto. A good one, though slightly erratic pacing.


Tuesday 13/10

Type: steady
Distance: 5.61miles
Pace: 8.20min/mile average (8.24, 8.09, 8.15, 8.25, 8.24)

A really good run the day before I went on holiday. Felt quite pleased I managed to keep a good pace, considering the profile was quite hilly. Also the darkness suddenly fell whilst I was out running! Left and it was quite light, got home and it was pitch black. Despite my complaints I do love the wintery nights!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beauty of the bridge was only surpassed by yours young lady :) x

Anonymous said...

That was a really nice thing for ananoymous to say...sounds like a nice guy

Derek x x

xtine said...

Oh you do amuse, Derek ;) x