Wednesday 18 November 2009

Wednesday 18/11

Time: 33mins 30secs
Distance: 4.05miles
Pace: 8.20min/mile (8.16, 8.30, 8.20, 8.00 - plus little sprint at end)

What a fantastic run! Very fortunately I have some time off so managed to get out about midday today and just do a short circuit through Milngavie and Bearsden. I included 3 fairly large hills (taking me over 2 mins to run up) in this run and tried to keep my pace as fast as I could on those hills. Quite tough on the second one! (Hence the slower 2nd mile)


Not too shabby! I'm currently trying to sort out files for transfer on my new laptop (she's a beaut!) and in my attempts I have been looking at my music. I think I may have a rough draft of my top 3 songs of all time. I will probably change my mind before the transfer is complete (not on number one though!!) but currently my list is (click on the songs to hear 'em and please comment if you like!!):

2 & 3. Mountains - Biffy Clyro OMFGALMIGHTY this song is so immense, seriously. I can't listen to it without getting goosebumps all over my body.
"Nothing lasts forever, except you and me
You are my mountain, you are my sea"
Seriously. It's sick, I love it so much.

The Further I slide - Badly Drawn Boy Sadly the only link i could get to this song which wasn't live was a Christiano Ronaldo music video (...he's pretty damn fit anyway, enjoy ;D) This song is so beautiful and so uplifting. Don't think you can beat Badly Drawn Boy for his awesome style of obscure instrumentals and fab lyrics.

1. The Modern Leper by Frightened Rabbit Whaw. Just whaw. This is and remains my all time favourite song. There are songs I listen to more, and songs which I'd recommend to others before this one, but I will always come back to it - especially when I'm running. It's so F*cking powerful (excuse my french) and just evokes such happiness within me, seriously! Listening to the lyrics too, they are awesome. I read them almost like a poem, or a very simple, kind of warped, "childlike" fairytale:

A cripple walks amongst you all you tired human beings
He's got all the things a cripple has
Not working arms and legs
And vital parts fall from his system
And dissolve in Scottish rain
Vitally he doesn't miss them
He's too fucked up to care
Well, is that you in front of me?
Coming back for even more of exactly the same
You must be a masochist to love a modern leper
On his last leg
On his last leg
Well, I crippled your heart a hundred times
And still can't work out why
You see, I've got this disease I can't shake
And I'm just rattling through life
Well, this is how we do things now
Yeah, this is how the modern stay scared
So I cut out all the good stuff
Yeah, I cut off my foot to spite my leg
Well, is that you in front of me?
Coming back for even more of exactly the same
You must be a masochist to love a modern leper
On his last leg
Well, I am ill
But I'm not dead
And I don't know which of those I prefer
Because that limb which I have lost
Well, it was the only thing holding me up
Holding me up
Well, I'm lying on the ground now
Walking through the only door
Well, I have lost my eyesight
Like I said I would
But I still know
That that is you in front of me
And you are back for even more of exactly the same
Well, are you a masochist to love a modern leper
On his last leg
And you are not ill
And I'm not dead
Doesn't that make us the perfect pair?
Just you and me
We'll start again
And you can tell me all about what you did today
What you did today

It's so obviously about a man who is so wrapped up in his own world that he has completely abused the trust and love of those around him. He obviously cares very much for one girl in particular, and yet he continually ignores and abuses her love due to selfish acts/destructive behaviour or whatever. A few people think it's about drugs, a man who is addicted but I really don't think so. (I mean, come on, they said "Run" by Snow Patrol was about drugs - pfft) Anyway, that's my take on it. "You are not ill and I'm not dead - doesn't that make us the perfect pair?" - Seriously, can you beat lyrics like this? It's so poetic because it's so remniscent of so many modern day relationships where anything and everything gets in the way of seeing what's truly important. She's not ill - she isn't crazy to want to be with him even though he's probably a bit selfish at times (aren't we all?). He's not dead - he may be partially destroyed inside but if you're not dead there's nothing to stop you trying to better yourself. It DOES make them the perfect pair. In the end he's obviously realised this and is willing to change - "Just you and me, we'll start again and you can tell me all about what you did today"

Excuse the small sermon above, but at the end of the day listening to these 3 songs whilst surrounded by my closest friends and family would be the ultimate bliss for me. Listening to "Mountains" whilst trying my hardest to push it up the final hill of today's run REALLY made this run 10/10 for me. =D

Tuesday 17/11

Type: Cycle
Distance: ~16 miles

Went out on WHW this morning with Derek - just to the Beech Tree and back to my house. The WHW was SOO muddy! All that orangey clay on the big downhill after the Carbeth Huts. Derek almost went a*se over elbow at one point as well (tut tut - and he says I need to be more confident on the bike!), but luckily he just sort of went head first into a divet of mud and stood for about a minute with the tail end of his bike in the air. Ah, t'was a funny sight to behold.

Arrived at the Beech tree with numb everything to find it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays during the winter, so just turned around and came back. How exciting! Was a good cycle and I was happy to get use out my bike (EXTREMELY glad I didn't buy a really expensive one as all my biking friends would have had me do!) though the gears aren't changing too well. Just meant I had to really push it in a high gear on the uphills. All part of the fun ;D

No comments: