Tuesday 3 November 2009

Tuesday 3/11

Time: 33min 37 sec
Distance: 4.04miles
Pace: 8.18min/mile (8.30, 8.40, 8.35, 7.15)

Got back from Inverness this morning. Was a great trip - very relaxing. I was so tired I slept in quite long most of the days! Fortunately, it was a lot drier up there (except Sunday when it was frequent, persistent rain) so managed to get out and about quite a lot. Ran yesterday but was itching to get out today, especially while it was still semi-light.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure my Nike+ is averaging my runs properly. The above splits are what my pace was on the mile markers. It fluctuated a little in between but really picked up towards the end. I was pushing it but wasn't sprinting though, and it was a huge uphill!! Is this normal? I don't know if paces should be increasing, decreasing or staying roughly the same at mile splits...I know it depends on what kind of session you're doing, but mine are generally the same (except (hill) sprints and long runs)!! Maybe that's something I should be working on...

On that note I am on the reserve list for Devil of the Highlands in August next year. Figure 9 months is a suitable time to prepare/psychologically prep myself =D

Monday 2/11

Time: 1hr 5mins 35 secs
Distance: 7.72miles
Pace: 8.29min/mile (8.56, 8.20, 7.35, 7.45, 8.50, 8.30, 8.11, 8.15)

Did this run in Inverness with my boyfriend. Was really great - we went out the back roads towards Nairnside and kept up a good pace. I think it's really interesting to compare the speed chart to the elevation profile:





As you can see (I feel like I should have a pointer), there was a big uphill at the beginning which made both our breaths burn the back of our throat, but we did manage to get a good pace on that hill. My bf and I have been talking about doing the Highland Fling race as a relay team - him, my friend who did the Great Scottish Run this year and me. I'd be looking at a 10/10/33 mile split...that way I'd still feel I was doing an ultra and they wouldn't need to train too hard to run it. I actually don't even know if you're allowed to just split the route yourself like that or if the relay teams have set markers they take over from one another from. More research is required I think...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

taht was sleeping in? You were getting up at 10! Think you need to work on that a little bit :P x