Monday 5 April 2010

Monday 5/4 - An unexpected run

Time: 2hrs
Distance: 13.2miles
Pace: ~9.05min/mile

What's with the rubbishy weather? Having been basking in glorious sunshine in Inverness (on Friday, at least), coming back to this wasn't so good! Had a great weekend in Ness, but forgot my running shoes (argh!) so couldn't run there. Thought I might if my heel was feeling better, but no such luck. My heel was still quite tight and also none of Derek or his brother's shoes fitted me properly.

On Saturday we played tennis for a while (quite tough with just the two of us in shoes which slipped up and down when I ran!) and went a walk in a forest. Was really nice. Had a good trip but was itching to get out a run when we came back down last night. Had a hearty dinner and got up early-ish this morning. Unfortunately procrastination meant I didn't actually get out until 10.30am...but when I was out it was fine.

I won't lie, my heel was hurting a lot at first and I thought that this was just going to be an easy 6 miler...however after the initial large uphill it really felt a lot better, and I felt like I was running quite strongly. I had a really consistent pace and felt great so just kept on going. Went out a back road past Baldernock and towards Strathblane which I've not done in ages. It certainly is hardest going in that direction - 3 times more uphills than downhills!!

Got in and had a big lunch which was great and just chilling for the rest of the day. Am thinking about my long run this week, which will be a 19/20 miler. I kind of want to do it in the morning as I find myselft running stornger in the mornings, but I don't think I can fit it in before work at 10am unless I get up really really early (5am, I'm guessing). But if it's a sunny day, who knows!...

On the shoe front, I am still having problems. When I'm out for over an hour my right arch is really sore. Got a physio appointment with the NHS for the day after the half marathon though, so that may hopefully explain one or two things!

Thursday 1/4

Distance: 13.6miles
Pace: ~9.20min/mile

Got into work this morning and just was not in the mood at all. I had loads to get sorted before driving up to Inverness tonight, and I felt guilty being in work when I needed to study etc! So I managed to get a half day, as did Derek, and we both left at 12pm sharp. Had a Docs appointment at 4.30pm so really needed to get out and do a good quality run before then.

Things, however, didn't go to plan. As soon as I started running my heel siezed up and it became quite sore to walk on, let along run on. Derek was cycling alongside, hwoever, so the chat made me stop thinking about it for a while. We were going at a slow pace and I knew there was no way I could get 18miles done as originally planned, and get back, changed and to the Docs on time. So we went off road, along WHW and through some tracks at Mugdock. It was really good! I love running across swamps and stuff! It really didn't feel like a run, more like just bounding through forests and marshes. I enjoyed myself and even though it wasn't really inkeeping with my training plan, well, it's not that big a deal.

Decided after that to go easy on the exercise this weekend and try to let my heel rest. It's sore to touch, as though it's bruised and I don't want to be doing my 20+ mile runs with an injury. So this weekend will be total relaxation! Though would take the running shoes, just in case...

No comments: