Wednesday 24 September 2008

Saturday 20/9

Type: Long
Time: 2hr 45mins
Distance: 18miles
Pace: 9.10m/m

An amazing long run in Inverness with my boyfriend cycling alongside.

Did the upper road route (ie, not the one which the marathon will be on), which meant a very long, fairly steep hill out of Dores. I stopped 3 times, I must say, but only once through sloth!! One time I needed to take my jacket off, the other time my bf stopped and I figured (since he was a bit poorly and had driven me all the way out to cycle beside me) I would stop to keep him company. We were debating whether or not going up hill is easier cycling... Personally I think it's harder running as you have a little momentum on a bike....but he seemed to think the weight of the bike makes it harder.
Our debate ran dry however when it became harder to run/cycle up the hill and talk at the same time.

The course was absolutely beautiful, alongside a loch and the road was very quiet. It's great to have someone to chat to when you're running. I only used my headphones for the very end when D scooted off down the hill about 8 times faster than I could run. The last downhill was fantastic! Overall an absolutely brilliant run, I wish I'd done a few more runs up there when I was visiting in the past.

So now the plan is maybe an 11/12miler this weekend. I stayed up in Inverness longer than I'd planend and we were so busy (climbed a cairngorm on Monday - photos to follow), so I never got the chance to run again. I'll do three this week before the weekend, then next week perhaps 3 before Sunday, including one mid week seven miler. Can't believe the marathon is the weekend after next! It seems as though I've justbeen swamped over the past few months and it's crept up so quickly, which does pose the sponsorship money problem though - I'm not as high as I would have liked to be.
So I'm turning to you! My viewers!

http://www.justgiving.com/xtine-runs-onandon

Please, if you can, sponsor me. As little or as much as you can. I'd hate all this training to go to waste, I want to raise as much as I can!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anoymous is pretty sure your boyfriend, who sounds like a dream boat btw, never stopped going up the hill. Anoynous, who has a physics degree, also thinks its harder to cycle up steep hills than run.

Gregor Stewart said...

I really like the line "8 times faster than I could run", I would have just said 10 (Not cause I am slower than you btw), more because I feel 10 times faster is easier for me to picture.

As for the debate, I would have to agree with the physicist, whoever he (or she) is. As both a keen runner (yeh right!) and cyclist I feel you will value my opinion...though it is obvious I am not a physicist!

I believe running uphill will be easier since the bike will have a tendency to roll back down the hill unless the rider does not maintain momentum. Runners don't have this problem, though since cycling is less tiring on the downhills it is difficult to compare fairly.


PS: Loving the post which you mentioned me in! Only been out once since :(