Friday 26 September 2008

Thursday 25/9

Type: Short/Fast/Hill Reps
Time: 25mins + 25mins
Distance: 3.3miles + reps

This was very very unexpected tonight! As I was heading out my short run, I heard somebody shouting to me "they're going that way". When I looked over I saw a man approaching me outside the gym. He told me he was the coach of the Glasgow Uni Hares and Hounds running club, and asked why I wasn't going out with the group (who'd presumably just left). I told him I'd never really been invloved in a club and explained a bit about my running. He told me to go for a 20min warm up then to meet them at Kelvingrove park for hill reps. He was very pleasant. Apparently he'd trained a commonwealth games marathon runner who used to come to Glasgow Uni.

I spent my whole run debating whether or not to meet them, but eventually thought "what the hey". So I did. It was around this time last year that my running took a turn for the worst because I had some real stresses in my personal life, and I'm just so so happy to be out running everyday again, with more confidence than I've ever had before. I figured, if I don't do this now, when will I? So, I went and met them after quite a fast warm up run.

I did 2 sets of 5 45second hill rep sessions with 1min 45 recovery. My average pace for each was about 7.55 m/m, which I guess is ok for a first time try. The coach seemed impressed I'd done all of them. A lot of people only did 3 reps. And here's the big thing - my legs were a little bit sore today! That's not happened after a mid week run in a long time!! So I must say, I'm impressed. I think I will join them for their hill rep sessions on a Thursday as much as I can manage.

All in all, a very interesting run.

No comments: