Tuesday 11 September 2007

Monday 10/09

Type: Long(ish)
Time: 1hr22mins
Distance: 9.5miles
Pace: 8.4m/m
Rating: 7

The pace here is perhaps a little inaccurate, my pace was really all over the place. I belted the first couple of miles, slowed in the middle and then belted the last few too. I blame the stupid car game. It really is addictive. Today I was racing the 159 all the way from St Georges X to Hyndland (where I lost it) but I managed to pretty much keep up with it the whole way, so I must've been doing some speed.
Add to that, that I saw my old driving instructor, though wasn't entirely sure if it was her or not. So I sprinted about half a mile up a hill to try and catch up with her car. Turns out it was her, but she didn't see me. I don't blame her really - I'm glad she never took her eyes off of what I was doing when I was learning to drive in her car!!

It was really hot today too. I had planned to go on for longer but I ran out of water. Stopped in Bradfords where the kind lady filled me up, but I went through that pretty quickly too. I also felt kind of drained. I was camping at the weekend and hardly ate at all...I can't really afford to buy meals out anymore! On Sunday I hardly ate anything at all - I had such a long, bad drive down from Fort William and by the time I got in at 8.45pm I just wanted my bed. So I think my theory was right - I know it's obvious, but the more you eat (well, the more proper meals) the better you are at running. My eating patterns have been all over the place this last wee while, I think it's just trying to balance the times I run with working, and doing Uni work too. If I run in the morning, have lunch at work and then go to Uni, by the time I get home at 7ish I have no appetite....which means that the following morning I'm sapped and knackered.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. On that note though the Mountain Biking Championships were great! The cross country wasn't as good as the downhill - that was awesome. Biking seems like a good sport, but I must say I still think I prefer running - it's much cheaper and more practical. You can run anywhere! (provided you have your running shoes, obviously) Also, I can't see how there can be any greater achievement between the two than running a marathon. You put in months of training and you literally move yourself 26.2miles...on your own feet. On a bike, okay you can achieve some fantastic things if you train, but still, you're not exactly moving yourself - it's you AND the bike. The bike is moving, you're just helping it move along. But who am I to judge.

No comments: