Sunday 2 September 2007

Sunday 2/09

Great Scottish Run Half Marathon

Time: 1hr47mins
Distance: 13.1miles
Pace: 8.18m/m
Rating:8

I don't know where to begin! First off, I need to point out that while I did have my heart set on beating my half marathon pb, somewhere deeper down I know I wasn't going to beat it. Since the marathon I've been concentrating mainly on speed rather than distance, which makes me think that if I'd done the 10k I could have probably gotten a rather good time. But, what's a 10k when you've the chance to do a half marathon.

The route was absolutely fantastic, across the Kingston Bridge (always excellent!), through Bellahouston Park, Pollock Park (which is actually superb! They have Heelan' Coos roaming about in there!!) and the run up to and through Glasgow Green is great too. I must admit that there were a couple of points which lessened the enjoyment of the run a little though.

Firstly, the congestion at the start. Now I know that it's a given on a race of this size, but being stuck behind people unable to scoot ahead for the first mile or so was a bit frustrating. I was going to actually start at the back of the "white" runner's assembly, but I decided against it. That may have helped me out a little in retrospect.
Another thing was that there were a few gradual slopes upward which did get the better of me. Especially entering Pollock Park. My pace slowed considerably there, and I caught sight of a few people stopping and walking too. Despite this, the second half of the race was very much downhill, so I felt I managed to creep back into a good pace there.

Having said that, there were also a few things which really made the run fantastic. At about 7miles there were people outside their houses handing out water and orange segments and giving runners a gentle sprinkle with the hose. That was awesome! So kind of those people. I doubt theyll ever read this but that really was an act of total kindness and I'd love to have the chance to thank them. Also, at the end of the run we were given space blankets! They are the cosiest things, I have to say. That was an excellent idea, it made the drive home a lot less uncomfortable - there's nothing worse than being freezing cold after you stop running.

All in all, a great morning. I was out pretty late at a party last night and I'm absoultely shattered now, however. At the party I was chatting to a girl who'd run the GSR 10k last year too - she told me that she'd taken up running to help her asthma and it had. She now has less attacks than she used to and feels she can breathe more easily. I thought that was a really encouraging story.

Anyway, I'm off for a nice cup of tea and perhaps a well-earned empire biscuit now. I think I'm still on the adrenaline high from crossing the finish line - if there is a better high out there, I've yet to experience it.

No comments: