Saturday 19 September 2009

Saturday 19/9

Type: I shall entitle it "A long run destined to fail"
Distance: 13.5miles
Pace: ~8.50min/mile

Ok so I should explain. At a night class the other night the guy next to me sat coughing, spluttering, breathing incredibly loud and just being generally gross the whole time. He must've had a cold, and I immediately regretted sitting next to him...but he had asked to share my book so it was too late to move. Now in a vain attempt to try and stop myself getting a cold I was popping zinc tablets, drinking tea and generally keeping my back to him. Felt ok for a day or two but last night I picked at my pasta and this morning I was up early and cleaning the house, feeling ok, but by the time I headed out my long run (which was meant to be an 18miler) at 11am I was feeling drained. I had achey muscles and was coughing. Got to about 5miles (hence the dip)and had to go sit down on some grass to debate whetehr I should keep doing or not.

I don't know if anyone has ever been in this position, but I felt like if I stopped, I'd regret it for the res tof the week...because I wouldn't have another chance to do a long run again (my dissertation is due in on Friday and I am *insert some word mixing nervous, worried, terrified and can't be bothered here* Nonetheless, I kept going. Thought if I could at least do ten miles I'd feel ok. I ended up doing 13.5 and kept a good pace, so was quite happy about that. I did sort of collapse and have to go for a nap when I got in, but I'm glad I kept going. Here's my chart.


I feel that this marathon 2 weeks tomorrow is going to be a bit of a "blag your way through" kind of thing. The only good thing is that sponsorships have increased exponentially this week so I'm REALLY pleased about that. I will try my best but my MSc project is really my priority so will just have to resign myself to that. I look forward to the day I might be able to run a marathon without having finished an intensive Uni course involving heavy exams and/or a dissertation a week prior to it....I'd take bets from people on how that would pan out (:

Anyway - here's my runs from the week prior.


Thursday 17/9

Type: Longish
Distance: 5.7miles
Pace: 8.14min/mile

This was a good run just before I started doing my dissertation for the day. My pace was quite consistently between about 8.25min/mile and 7.55min/mile which Iw as pretty pleased about. I'm not going to continually post my speed charts that the Nike+ guru shows me...but needless to say there was a big dip midway through my run...why does that always happen?? I don't feel like I slow down THAT much! Mysteries...

Tuesday 15/9

Type: Hill Sprints
Time: ~40mins
Distance: ~4miles (incl. recoveries)

I did a 1.2mile jog warm up, then 7 x 1min hill sprints (roughly 0.15miles with jog recoveries) then I did one more hill sprint with my boyfriend (who had his pacing allll wrong ;D ) then I had roughly 1mile recovery with a nice sprint at the end.
Here's the Nike+ breakdown:

(I do love these diagrams!!)


Monday 14/9

Type: Easy
Distance: 2.67miles
Pace: roughly 8.30min/mile (but did speed up quite a lot then slow down)

No comments: