Friday 11 September 2009

Some thoughts....and musics!

Ok, so I want to get this out my head really quicklyu before I start my Uni work...

I have to do a long run tomorrow. I say "have" to - what I mean is I want to do a run on west highland way, but I don't think I can....as I'm training for an on-road run. This run needs to be 20-22 miles...so I was thinking I would run out to Balmaha from my house. That would be 21miles no problems...but I don't think I could run up conic hill...this cutting out a section due to walking which I don't really want to do. I could always run to Drymen then run along the road to Balmaha....but I still don't think that's 21miles (I'm fairly sure the road round conic hill cuts out a lot of the mileage).

So another option is to run towards Drymen then along cycle route 7 to Balloch and get the train back from there. This seems more appropriate, but it's not the WHW, is it? This is one thing that gets me down about training for road races. I love the races, and I love all the training up to about 4 weeks before when I need to crank the mielage up. Then I find it really hard to think of nice road routes I want to do 20+ milers on.

I'm fairly sure this blog is only read by a few people but if they have any advice for a nice, 20-22 miler from my Milngavie somewhere...where I won't be stopping much and yet still enjoying scenery other than some trucks, buses and car fumes please let me know!

Another thing to say, quickly, is that I discovered this blog online:
http://www.popround.com/category/genres/indie/

If you scroll down the page there is some great mixes from 2008 with some fantasic songs for long runs...keep you bobbing along the whole way (:

(I'm not sure how legal it is to advertise other people's sites online...especially if they don't know you read them...so if the creator sees this I hope he takes it as a compliment!)

2 comments:

Davie said...

I hope this catches you before you start.
Run along the WHW until you reach the bridge at Killearn. Go under it and take a sharp left and follow the road until the roundabout. Go straight through and follow the road up the hill taking care as there is no footpath. keep going straight on and uphill for about a mile until you meet the Stockiemuir Road from Milngavie to Drymen. Take a slight left to the side of the house facing you and then follow the trail and track from there over the moor to meet the road to Balloch. Follow it to the left and keep heading south on the main road. Probably best to check an online map here as it is a bit complicated to explain. When you reach the Vale of Leven, turn left and then go over the Bonhill Bridge (looks like a scaled down version of Sydney harbour) go over it and turn sharp right down a lane to the river. Turn right and follow it for about 3-4 miles to Dumbarton where you can get a train home.
Map here (DOWNLOAD G MAPS if you don't have it at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ )
URL for this route is: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3179934 I've measured it from Killearn and reference on the map to the various railway stations would help you find the ideal distance from your home. it's a nice run that doesn't go to anywhere that leaves you too remote. (Like Balmaha!)if you don't have a car picking you up. Hope it suits your purpose.


Davie

xtine said...

Thanks for your advice on this run! As you can see from my post, I did an adaption on it because I had to be back at my house for a particular time (couldn't be relying on those trains)
Appreciated it though, and will def head right out to Dumbarton one time.
Cheers!