Sunday 6 September 2009

Sunday 6/9

Great Scottish Run
Time: 1hr 51mins
Distance: 13.1miles
Pace: 8.31min/mile

Despite the rain, this turned out to be a great event. As usual, the start was incredibly crowded. My friend (his first half) and I had to kind of shove our way into the muster, then it really took a while to start moving properly (I'm sure this put at least 2 mins onto my time...) Once we did though, it was a good run. The crowds were fantastic! Seriously, nobody does support like the Glaswegians! I felt I managed to keep a good pace, however I did lag a bit in the middle (as my Nike+ confirms ;) )


That, I'm sure, is a result of the horrible "new" race strategy which goes through my head as I approach the middle of a race! I decide that, after starting off at a good pace I should decrease speed then pick it back up at the end...how silly, but at the time I think "yes! What a great idea..." just as my pace slows slightly. Also, I actually cut my foot (inside my shoe...who even knows how that happened) and had to stop momentarily which explains the serious lag at 10miles.

Anyway, finsihed in good spirits, though not really feeling I'd pushed myself 100% (thank you spur-of-the-moment race strategy). My friend finished in 1hr 44, which is a great first effort, though he did have slight chaffing of the nippular area (something he suddenly remembered at the start of the race).

As an after thought too, I;ve been thinking. After Loch Ness Marathon I think I have 2 plans (for this year anyway!). I will do the Nike+ Human Race 10k on 24/10/09. This is basically where hundreds of people go out on that day and run a 10k then connect their Nike+ to the computer and log their times...it's a virtual race! (: Also, I will try and do a half marathon in November, if I can. I think after I've logged the miles for the marathon I might be able to do some more speed sessions and maybe get a half marathon time that ISN'T around 1hr 50 (as they always are!!).

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

Congratulations on a good run.

Glad you enjoyed it.

John