Monday 13 August 2007

Some thoughts

I didn't run this morning, even though I kind of wanted to. Sadly the temptation for a lie in before work was just too overwhelming. I need to get out of the habit of setting the alarm to get up for a run and then just snoozing it for an hour and a half until it's time to shower for work. Truthfully though, putting aside my mum's comment about running while ill, maybe that is the reason that my cold has lasted about 3 weeks, going on 4? I seem to be coughing a lot too, I'm a wee bit worried the cold has moved into my chest. I don't think running in the rain helps.

Okay anyway, having been trying to fix my shuffle all night, it's made me think about the songs which I love to run to. I have to say I did enjoy the "solo" run yesterday - the time did pass a lot quicker than I thought it would. However, there are some songs which I will forever remember as running songs...those which slow you down and keep you at a great "plodding along" pace, and those which make you want to run just that bit faster than you ever have before. Being the kind person I am I have decided to note a few on here.

Warm up
Where's your Head at? - Basement Jaxx
Denise - Fountains of Wayne (This song became a million times more awesome after I saw FoW live)
Smile like you mean it - The Killers

Sprint
Feel so Numb - Rob Zombie (I have really vivid memories of turning the treadmill up to the max and just flat out going for it when I first started listening to this song. Ah the days of running in the gym...)
2 songs crashed - Gwen Stefani vs Blur (A mashup...song 2's WOO HOO, with Gwen singing "Now you know you're qualified, you're in the pole position...put it in first gear, step on the pedal and drive...fast" I realise it's about driving, but the principle holds...it makes me want to run...fast)


Threshold
Rebellion(Lies) - Arcade Fire (I NEED to hear this song every time I run, regardless of whether or not I'm running fast. That violin which comes in at the end gives me goosebumps)
Wolf like me - Tv on the Radio (This was the song I finished the Edinburgh Marathon to!!!! I remember picking up the pace at the 25mile mark, where I was CONVINCED I could see the racecourse in the distance. So this song was such a spur on when it came on my ipod. The lyrics are absolutely fantastic. Cheers to the boy who got me into tv on the radio (he knows who he is) ...
Enjoy the Silence 04 - Depeche Mode (it's GOTTA be the 2004 version, it's got pizazz)

Cool Down
Today - Smashing Pumpkins
Supersonic - Oasis
Atlas - Battles

I have loads more, but a few are inappropriate for a clean blog. I like rap and "crunk"...I tend to find that having loud voices screaming and swearing always moves the run along....

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome